We understand that there are many aspects of treatment, care and support you need to achieve your goals. For example, your Service Planner may be able to fund equipment that is intended to improve your mobility and independence so you can begin to complete tasks you were able to do prior to the motor vehicle accident.

There are also other forms of support accessible under the Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS). Further information is provided below.

We will fund necessary and reasonable travel expenses to appointments if you are attending an appointment related to your injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident and it is within the requirements of the LSS Rules.

What services will the LSA fund?  

We can fund the following types of travel requests:

  • travel costs to allow you to attend your pre-approved treatment, care and support services
  • your attendant care worker’s travel costs to help you travel to pre-approved treatment, care and support services such as mileage or public transport fares.
  • the use of your own vehicle (mileage)
  • public transport cost
  • travel by taxi.

What the LSA will not fund:  

We cannot fund all types of travel requests, such as:

  • a taxi fare to an appointment if you’ve been assessed as able to catch public transport
  • travel costs for normal daily activities (e.g. travel to work, shops or social functions)
  • travel costs for anyone other than you, unless you have pre-approval for an attendant carer to accompany you.

Options for travel not funded by the LSA

We can assist in investigating other options for travel, these include but are not limited to:

  • public transport concessions (e.g. companion card, seniors card and state concession card)
  • local council and community transport programs
  • eligibility for a mobility allowance. This is available for people who cannot use public transport without substantial assistance. Contact the Department for Human Services for more information.
  • eligibility for tax concessions when you buy, lease or modify a car with medical aids and appliances. For more information contact the Australian Tax Office.
  • accessible parking for people with a disability in U Parks across Adelaide.

How are travel costs requested?

Please discuss with your Service Planner if your request can be funded us.  Further information is outlined in the Access Treatment, Care and Support Information Sheet.

How does the LSA fund my travel?

If we approve your travel request, we will fund this by either:

  • reimbursing your travel costs directly to you
  • providing you with taxi vouchers
  • approving your funding for your attendant care worker to travel with you
  • fund public transport passes (e.g. metro cards).

What are my responsibilities for my travel?

We expect that you will:

  • seek approval from your Service Planner prior to the travel to confirm we will fund your travel request
  • provide receipts and supporting documentation for the use of your own vehicle (mileage)
  • only use taxi vouchers for approved treatment, care and support journeys and:
    • be the only person to use the taxi voucher unless they are accompanying you for an approved journey
    • ensure your taxi voucher reflects the metered amount with no rounding up or tipping.

Further information is outlined in the Resolving Disputes about Treatment, Care and Support Needs Information Sheet.

Attendant care providers support participation, independence and aim to reduce the impact on you, your support network and community.

Provided the support is related to your motor vehicle accident injuries and satisfies the requirements of the LSS Rules, we will fund your treatment, care and support under the Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS). Your Service Planner will work with you to determine the support that best suits your needs.

What is attendant care?

Attendant care support helps maintain your health and wellbeing by assisting you to complete tasks that you can no longer perform as a result of your motor vehicle accident injuries, such as:

  • personal care (e.g. bathing, dressing, grooming, eating and toileting)
  • fitting and use of aids and appliances, hearing and communication devices
  • help to attend your injury-related treatment services
  • support to allow you to participate in approved leisure activities.

Who determines my needs?

Your Service Planner will discuss your attendant care needs with you. The amount and type of care depends on the injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident and your needs, as determined in consultation with your treating specialists.

Sometimes attendant care is not the only or best option for you. Your Service Planner may discuss other options to ensure you receive necessary and reasonable care that is related to your injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident.

How do I know which provider is best for me?

We have a panel of approved attendant care providers to provide services to LSS participants.

Deciding which attendant care provider is best for you depends on where you live and what services you require. You can also speak to more than one potential service provider to help make your decision. You may also want to speak to your doctor, other service providers or family members to make an informed decision.

For more information speak to either your Service Planner or further information about outlined in the Attendant Care provider section.

What if my needs and circumstances change?

Your attendant care needs will be reviewed regularly through your MyPlan. This ensures you receive the services you need.

We may fund school holiday programs, community based groups or community access programs as an alternative to support and attendant care services for a child participant if the service is:

  • age appropriate
  • provides the right level of support
  • a good value alternative that meets the child's care and support needs, as determined by the LSA.

We will not fund everyday activities.

If you are the parent of a child participant, we will fund support, attendant care and/or domestic services for your child by taking into account the following:

  • ordinary care needs of a child of the same age
  • the amount of additional care needed due to the injuries sustained by your child in the motor vehicle accident.

We the LSA will not fund:

  • services in place of ordinary parenting duties
  • age-appropriate services that parents ordinarily use (e.g. babysitters, nannies, child care costs or out of school hours care).

The role of an attendant care or support worker is to provide care for only your child and not provide direct care or supervision to any other siblings or children.

We may fund the necessary and reasonable expenses of support or domestic services in place of attendant care to allow time for you to provide care for your child.

We can only fund the necessary and reasonable cost of domestic services when it is related to your assessed treatment, care and support needs.

Domestic services are those that help you manage household tasks, such as:

  • preparing meals and associated tasks
  • cleaning, ironing and similar tasks involved in the everyday operation and maintenance of a household
  • routine home maintenance that assists in the up-keep of your home and ensures safe and easy access
  • gardening to ensure safe and easy access where necessary.

Funding for domestic services will consider what your main responsibilities were prior to the motor vehicle accident and consider what duties you can now successfully complete when deciding on domestic services funding.

We can fund necessary and reasonable injury related education and vocational support, subject to the requirements of the LSS Rules.

What is educational support?

We can fund approved education support services that are unable to be met by resources already available through school, TAFE or a university. The services must be for learning needs that are a result of the motor vehicle accident injuries.

We also respect the role of parents acting on behalf of their children and will engage your child in the planning of their education support if appropriate and where possible.

We can facilitate commencement at, or return to, appropriate educational settings within:

  • preschool
  • childcare (including before and after school care)
  • primary, secondary and special schools
  • higher education.

What is vocational support?

Vocational support aims to minimise the impact of your injury on your employment or other work-related activity. In the first instance, we will focus on returning you to your original form of employment pre-injury.

We may fund vocational support (vocational pre-training, vocational training and retraining), where it is clear in our opinion, there is evidence that you will benefit from socialisation associated with employment participation.

How do I ask for either education or vocational support services?

Please speak with your Service Planner who will work with you to determine the best support that suit your needs.

Further information is outlined in the What is Necessary and Reasonable Treatment Care and Support, Education Support Services and Vocational Support Services Information Sheets.

We will fund necessary and reasonable equipment that will enable you to complete tasks that are more difficult as a result of your motor vehicle accident injuries, subject to the LSS Rules. This may include equipment that:

  • gives you independence or more independence
  • gives you opportunities to participate at home, in the community or at work
  • Improvement your mobility
  • helps you communicate better
  • eases pain and discomfort
  • keeps you healthy
  • helps you return to work, education or leisure activities
  • helps keep you, your family and carers safe.

How can I request the equipment I need?

All equipment must be prescribed by an appropriately qualified health professional who will make a recommendation based on an assessment of your needs.

What equipment will the LSA fund?

We fund the costs of necessary and reasonable treatment, care and support expenses related to your motor vehicle accident injuries, such as:

  • off the shelf items (e.g. dressing aids, kitchen/bathroom aids and walking frames)
  • customised items (e.g. wheelchairs and prostheses)
  • medical aids, continence equipment and supplies as well as respiratory equipment
  • general household and personal items (e.g. beds and mattresses when the need is directly related to your injuries)
  • information, communication and assistive technology
  • environmental control equipment
  • pressure care equipment
  • orthoses and medical footwear.

Equipment for exercise, fitness, recreation or leisure purposes

If an appropriately qualified health practitioner has prescribed fitness equipment for you, then we may fund this.

We may also fund equipment or modifications to equipment you have purchased prior to your motor vehicle accident if it will allow you to return to recreational activity that:

  • you did prior to your motor vehicle accident
  • you want to do as a substitute for something you did prior to the motor vehicle accident
  • is developmentally appropriate and you would like to do now.

What the LSA will not fund:

We will not fund equipment that is not related to injuries sustained in your motor vehicle accident, or:

  • equipment that can be accessed elsewhere (e.g. at a gym)
  • equipment that can only be used at a physiotherapist’s treating room.

Can I request my existing equipment be modified or replaced?

We will fund the necessary and reasonable cost of upgrading or modifying existing household or leisure equipment you used prior to the motor vehicle accident.

We will consider the replacement of injury specific modifications or extras that cannot be transferred from the existing equipment, if it is necessary and reasonable, when:

  • you still require the equipment
  • your needs have changed due to growth or change in function and modifications are not possible
  • replacement is due to age of equipment and/or normal wear & tear.

What about repairs to equipment?

We will fund the maintenance and repairs to equipment we have purchased or modified that becomes damaged due to ordinary wear and tear. We will also fund routine maintenance and adjustments where your needs change.

Further information is outlined in the Equipment Information Sheet.

Family and support networks are vital for your health and wellbeing.  Your support network will also be coming to terms with change and at times life can become more difficult. Complex emotions such as anger, sadness, fear and guilt may be experienced and family breakdown may occur. As a result, sometimes we might need to support you or your family to navigate complex family and social issues.

We might also fund individual or family counselling if the problems experienced relate to your motor vehicle accident and we consider this to be of the benefit to you.

Your Service Planner may also help you, your family or carers to access other organisations that provide support and may be a good resource, such as:

We will fund necessary and reasonable home modifications that are required as a result of your motor vehicle accident injuries, subject to the LSS Rules. Home modifications are changes to the structure, layout or fittings that allows you to safely access and move around your home comfortably. Modifications can range from small (minor) to big (major/complex).

What are small/minor modifications?

Minor modifications may include grab rails, handheld shower hoses or a magnetic door catch.

What are major/complex modifications?

Major modifications may include structural changes, such as:

  • changing the layout of a bathroom to make it accessible
  • widening of a doorway or entry point.

Do I need home modifications?

Home modifications can support you to access your home and live as independently and safely as possible. We can arrange a qualified Occupational Therapist to meet and discuss possible options such as access through doors, the bathroom, your bedroom or kitchen.

What modifications will the LSA fund?

Home modifications can be a complicated area and we will consider:

  • your short and long-term needs
  • reasonable alternatives for independence and access
  • who owns the property
  • all aspects of the property that would make it difficult to modify
  • the scale and estimated cost of the modifications
  • permission required from the owner or body corporate
  • applicable planning regulations and building permits
  • Australian Standards and any other building regulations
  • length of lease of a rental property
  • length of time you expect to live in the property
  • temporary or staged modifications depending on your individual circumstances.

What the LSA will not fund:

As home modifications can be a complicated area, we will not fund modifications:

  • that have not been approved by us
  • that were a result of a condition that existed prior to your motor vehicle accident
  • that are not as a result of your motor vehicle accident
  • that haven’t been approved by the owner or other authority
  • where the house isn’t suitable to be modified and you buy/rent it regardless
  • the cost of more than one report (e.g. a building inspection)
  • the cost of repairs or maintenance outlined in a report (e.g. strata, building or pest reports)
  • fees for strata, body corporate, council or water rates
  • building or constructing a pool, spa or aquatherapy facility
  • home insurance
  • loss of value to your home as a result of the modifications
  • removal of modifications
  • if you chose to fund additional works outside of the agreed modification plans
  • normal household items (e.g. furniture or white goods), that aren’t related to your needs as a result of the motor vehicle accident.

How long will the modifications take?

Minor modifications tend to be completed much quicker than complex modifications and will often begin prior to your discharge home.

Major modifications will take longer to complete and the time it takes will be dependent on a variety of factors.

What if my home cannot be modified?

In some instances it may not be possible to modify your home due to the type of injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident. The design or condition of your home may also have an affect on the ability to modify your home.

If this is the case, we may fund the necessary and reasonable cost for you to relocate to another property. This includes:

  • advertising costs
  • agents’ fees
  • legal and conveyancing fees
  • stamp duty
  • removal costs.

However, we will not fund these costs it is not pre-approved and/or if you decide to move house for reasons unrelated to your motor vehicle accident injuries.

What if my needs change?

When meeting with an Occupational Therapist, they will anticipate your short and long term needs for a safe and accessible home. However we understand things can change. If this is the case please speak to your Service Planner or Occupational Therapist to discuss any concerns or questions.

Further information is outlined in the Home Modifications Information Sheet.

If you need assistance to carry out parenting or carer responsibilities because of your motor vehicle accident injuries, we may fund necessary and reasonable support and attendant care services to assist you in performing these duties, subject to the requirements of the LSS Rules.

The services that may be funded will depend on the caring or parenting tasks of other people who live with you. This support will only be available where you lived with, and provided care for a member of your immediate family prior to your motor vehicle accident, and they continue to live with you after the accident.

Support services are those that complement rehabilitation services and focus on interventions that engage natural and community supports. They aim to support your participation at home and in your community, such as:

  • assistance with correspondence and organisation (e.g. undertaking banking activities)
  • community access and activities (e.g. participating in community craft or hobby groups)
  • selecting and planning activities (e.g. preparing a shopping list)
  • establishing informal networks to reduce the need for formal paid services when engaging in activities
  • assisting you to care for dependents
  • travel to rehabilitation or medical appointments.

Some support services may be appropriately delivered by Assistance Dogs to reduce reliance on human caregivers and to overcome social isolation.

We recognise that family members will often want to help with the personal care of the injured family member. We may fund training for immediate family or people living with you if we determine the training is beneficial to you and your family as a whole.

When deciding whether the training is appropriate, we will take into account the type and cost of the training, your preferences and any risks to you.

Depending on your needs, you may benefit from changes to your vehicle to enable you to access and operate it. Modifications can be provided to support you to return to driving or to travel as a passenger in the car, subject to the requirements of the LSS Rules.

Types of vehicle modifications we can provide include:

  • adapted controls to steering wheel and foot pedals
  • hoists to enable wheelchair access
  • adaptations to park brake, rear vision mirrors, seat belts or indicators.

What will the LSA fund?

We will fund the associated costs of a vehicle modification that is necessary and reasonable such as:

  • modifications to your own vehicle
  • a vehicle modification that you share with a spouse or family member
  • in certain circumstances, a guardian or a work vehicle modification
  • the assessment by a Driver trained Occupational Therapist to assess for vehicle modifications
  • training in the safe and correct use of the modifications
  • maintaining, repairing, transferring and replacing modifications
  • additional insurance costs related to the modifications.

Legislation, Standards and Regulations

We will only fund modifications that are commercially available and meet the current South Australian Legislation. We will also only fund modifications that have been assessed and recommended by a suitably qualified Occupational Therapist and installed by a supplier in line with relevant standards and regulations.

What is the process to support you to return to driving?

If you need modifications to your vehicle as a result of your motor vehicle injury, the first step is to ensure you are medically fit to return to driving after your motor vehicle accident. We will require written confirmation from either your doctor or Occupational Therapist of your suitability to return to driving prior to funding any vehicle modifications.

We will refer you to a Driver Trained Occupational Therapist who will decide if modifications are suitable for you. The Occupational Therapsit will:

  • complete an assessment and work with you to determine your needs
  • advise us of their recommendations.

What the LSA will not fund:

  • purchase of a car
  • car registration or insurance
  • commercially available features for a vehicle (e.g. power steering)
  • running costs (e.g. servicing costs)
  • loss of the value to your car as a result of the modifications
  • modifications any more frequently than once every eight years unless there is a change in medical condition related to your motor vehicle accident injuries which prevents the use of the previously modified vehicle.

Further information is outlined in the Vehicle Modifications Information Sheet.

If you are going on holiday or will otherwise be away from home and need extra support and attendant care services, we may fund this in certain circumstances (as outlined in the LSS Rules). For example, you may require support for travel that is beyond the usual support provided by airline cabin crew, boat crew and bus or train drivers. If this is the case, please speak with your Service Planner about your options.

However, not all extra support and attendant care can be funded while away from home, such as:

  • any nursing, support or attendant care if you go into hospital or if you are a rehabilitation inpatient
  • expenses for recreational activities or equipment or entry to tourist attractions
  • personal holiday expenses (e.g. travel, meals, accommodation or insurance)
  • international travel expenses (e.g. passports, visas or immunisations)
  • travel expenses for attendant carers where you have been assessed as being able to travel without support or attendant care (or with assistance by airlines, bus, boat or rail systems).
Page last updated: 1 October 2020