We understand that there are many aspects of treatment, care and support you need to achieve your goals. For example, your Service Planner may be able to fund Assistive Technology that is intended to improve your mobility and independence so you can begin to complete tasks you were able to do prior to the motor vehicle accident.

There are also other forms of support accessible under the Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS). Further information is provided below.

We will fund necessary and reasonable travel expenses to appointments if you are attending an appointment related to your injuries sustained in the motor vehicle accident and it is within the requirements of the LSS Rules.

What services will the LSA fund?  

We can fund the following types of travel requests:

  • travel costs to allow you to attend your pre-approved treatment, care and support services
  • your attendant care worker’s travel costs to help you travel to pre-approved treatment, care and support services such as mileage or public transport fares.
  • the use of your own vehicle (mileage)
  • public transport cost
  • travel by taxi.

What the LSA will not fund:  

We cannot fund all types of travel requests, such as:

  • a taxi fare to an appointment if you’ve been assessed as able to catch public transport
  • travel costs for normal daily activities (e.g. travel to work, shops or social functions)
  • travel costs for anyone other than you, unless you have pre-approval for an attendant carer to accompany you.

Options for travel not funded by the LSA

We can assist in investigating other options for travel, these include but are not limited to:

  • public transport concessions (e.g. companion card, seniors card and state concession card)
  • local council and community transport programs
  • eligibility for a mobility allowance. This is available for people who cannot use public transport without substantial assistance. Contact the Department for Human Services for more information.
  • eligibility for tax concessions when you buy, lease or modify a car with medical aids and appliances. For more information contact the Australian Tax Office.
  • accessible parking for people with a disability in U Parks across Adelaide.

How are travel costs requested?

Please discuss with your Service Planner if your request can be funded us.  Further information is outlined in the Access Treatment, Care and Support Information Sheet.

How does the LSA fund my travel?

If we approve your travel request, we will fund this by either:

  • reimbursing your travel costs directly to you
  • providing you with taxi vouchers
  • approving your funding for your attendant care worker to travel with you
  • fund public transport passes (e.g. metro cards).

What are my responsibilities for my travel?

We expect that you will:

  • seek approval from your Service Planner prior to the travel to confirm we will fund your travel request
  • provide receipts and supporting documentation for the use of your own vehicle (mileage)
  • only use taxi vouchers for approved treatment, care and support journeys and:
    • be the only person to use the taxi voucher unless they are accompanying you for an approved journey
    • ensure your taxi voucher reflects the metered amount with no rounding up or tipping.

Further information is outlined in the Resolving Disputes about Treatment, Care and Support Needs Information Sheet.

If you are the parent of a child Participant, the LSA will fund Support, Attendant Care and Domestic Services for your child, taking into account the ordinary care needs of a child of the same age, and the amount of additional care needed because of their Motor Vehicle Injury.

The LSA will not fund services in place of ordinary parenting duties, or for age-appropriate services that parents ordinarily use such as babysitters, nannies, childcare costs or out of school hours care.

The role of an Attendant Care or Support Worker for your child is to provide care services to your child and not provide direct care or supervision to any other siblings or children.

In the case of your child, the LSA may fund the necessary and reasonable expenses of Support or Domestic Services in place of Attendant Care so that you can provide care to your child.

Vocational support aims to enable you to participate in employment or voluntary work. In the first instance, vocational support services focus on returning you to your original employment with your pre-injury employer/s.

The LSA may fund vocational support such as vocational pre-training, vocational training, and retraining. These will be provided where there is evidence that such support will enable you to benefit from socialisation associated with employment participation and to obtain, and/or maintain employment.

Go to Vocational Support Services Information

Family and support networks are vital for your health and wellbeing.  Your support network will also be coming to terms with change and at times life can become more difficult. Complex emotions such as anger, sadness, fear and guilt may be experienced and family breakdown may occur. As a result, sometimes we might need to support you or your family to navigate complex family and social issues.

We might also fund individual or family counselling if the problems experienced relate to your motor vehicle accident and we consider this to be of the benefit to you.

Your Service Planner may also help you, your family or carers to access other organisations that provide support and may be a good resource, such as:

If you need assistance to carry out parenting or carer responsibilities because of your motor vehicle accident injuries, we may fund necessary and reasonable support and attendant care services to assist you in performing these duties, subject to the requirements of the LSS Rules.

The services that may be funded will depend on the caring or parenting tasks of other people who live with you. This support will only be available where you lived with, and provided care for a member of your immediate family prior to your motor vehicle accident, and they continue to live with you after the accident.

Support services are those that complement rehabilitation services and focus on interventions that engage natural and community supports. They aim to support your participation at home and in your community, such as:

  • assistance with correspondence and organisation (e.g. undertaking banking activities)
  • community access and activities (e.g. participating in community craft or hobby groups)
  • selecting and planning activities (e.g. preparing a shopping list)
  • establishing informal networks to reduce the need for formal paid services when engaging in activities
  • assisting you to care for dependents
  • travel to rehabilitation or medical appointments.

Some support services may be appropriately delivered by Assistance Dogs to reduce reliance on human caregivers and to overcome social isolation.

We recognise that family members will often want to help with the personal care of the injured family member. We may fund training for immediate family or people living with you if we determine the training is beneficial to you and your family as a whole.

When deciding whether the training is appropriate, we will take into account the type and cost of the training, your preferences and any risks to you.

If you are going on holiday or will otherwise be away from home and need extra support and attendant care services, we may fund this in certain circumstances (as outlined in the LSS Rules). For example, you may require support for travel that is beyond the usual support provided by airline cabin crew, boat crew and bus or train drivers. If this is the case, please speak with your Service Planner about your options.

However, not all extra support and attendant care can be funded while away from home, such as:

  • any nursing, support or attendant care if you go into hospital or if you are a rehabilitation inpatient
  • expenses for recreational activities or equipment or entry to tourist attractions
  • personal holiday expenses (e.g. travel, meals, accommodation or insurance)
  • international travel expenses (e.g. passports, visas or immunisations)
  • travel expenses for attendant carers where you have been assessed as being able to travel without support or attendant care (or with assistance by airlines, bus, boat or rail systems).
Page last updated: 1 October 2020